Bhupendra Patel, also known as Bhupendrabhai Patel, will lead Gujarat in the next assembly election in 2022, after the party named him as the successor to Vijay Rupani, who resigned on Saturday.
The news is as shocking as Vijay Rupani’s resignation, because Bhupendra Patel, 59, is not only the first-time Chief minister but also the first-time minister of Gujarat.
The crucial decision was taken at a meeting of BJP leaders in Gandhinagar wherein Patel was unanimously elected BJP legislature party leader.
He is will now meet the governor and stake claim to form the government. Patel will be sworn-in on Monday.
Related Articles: Pralhad Joshi, Narendra Tomar arrives Gujarat as BJP central observers
About Bhupendra Patel:
- Patel won the 2017 Gujarat Legislative Assembly elections from Ghatlodia constituency, defeating Congress candidate Shashikant Patel by over one lakh votes, the highest winning margin in the 2017 Gujarat polls.
- The Gujarat-CM designate Patel belongs to the Patidar community, which forms a huge vote bank for the BJP in the state that is led by the saffron party for decades now.
- Bhupender Patel is also the trustee at Patidar organizations Sardar Dham and Vishwa Umiya Foundation.
- He has served as the president of Memnagagar Nagarpalika in 1999-2000, vice-chairman of School Board of AMC in 2008-10 and councillor from Thaltej ward in 2010-15.
- The new CM is an engineer by profession.
- As per reports new CM has a very clear political background with no criminal record.
- Bhupendra Bhai Patel is considered close to Narendra Modi and Amit Shah. Not only this, he has also been the right hand of former Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel.
(For more updates stay tuned with DNP India)