The Indian Railways offers a variety of concessions on ticket fares for patients traveling for medical treatment or check-ups. These concessions can help to make important medical care more accessible and affordable for many people.
Who is eligible for the concession?
The following categories of patients are eligible for ticket concessions on Indian Railways:
- Cancer patients
- Thalassemia patients
- Heart patients who have undergone heart surgery
- Kidney patients who have undergone a kidney transplant or are on dialysis
- Haemophilia patients with severe or moderate forms of the disease
- T.B./Lupus Vulgaris patients
- Non-infectious leprosy patients
- AIDS patients
- Ostomy patients
- Sickle cell anemia patients
- Aplastic anemia patients
Check out the official notificaiton here:
How much is the concession?
The amount of the concession varies depending on the type of patient and the class of travel. For example, cancer patients traveling in a sleeper class are eligible for a 100% concession, while AIDS patients traveling in second class are eligible for a 50% concession.
How to avail the concession
To avail the concession, patients must book their tickets through the reservation system and present a valid medical certificate at the time of booking. The medical certificate must be issued by a government hospital or a recognized medical practitioner.