Amid the Russian attack in Ukraine, Formula One cancelled its Russian Grand Prix for September 25 at the Sochi’s Olympic Park following Russia’s military invasion of Ukraine.
“The FIA Formula 1 World Championship visits countries all over the world with a positive vision to unite people, bringing nations together. We are watching the developments in Ukraine with sadness and shock and hope for a swift and peaceful resolution to the present situation.”
“On Thursday evening Formula 1, the FIA, and the teams discussed the position of our sport, and the conclusion is, including the view of all relevant stakeholders, that it is impossible to hold the Russian Grand Prix in the current circumstances,” said a statement from Formula One.
Earlier on Thursday, just hours after Russia invaded Ukraine, four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel had said that he would not race in the Russian Grand Prix if it went ahead.
“My own opinion is I should not go, I will not go. ‘ think it’s wrong to race in that country. I’m sorry for the people, innocent people who are losing their lives, getting killed for stupid reasons under a very strange and mad leadership. I woke up again after this morning’s news, shocked. I think it’s horrible to see what is happening,” Vettel was quoted as saying by The Guardian.
Current world champion, Max Verstappen agreed with Vettel and said “When a country is at war, it is not right to race there.”