Bengaluru Floods An estimated 700 storm water drains in Bengaluru were allegedly blocked by prominent builders, developers, and tech parks, which caused some of the city to flood last week.
Wipro, Prestige, Eco Space, Bagmane Tech Park, Columbia Asia Hospital, and Divyashree Villas are among the companies on the list, according to NDTV, which had access to the list of high-profile entities that have encroached. Additionally, it appears that while demolitions are underway for homes owned by the average person, mammoth corporations have not yet been touched.
Under the condition of anonymity, the engineers NDTV spoke with stated that they will also not be spared. But the action hasn’t started yet. One of them remarked, “We are moving one after the other, but there is a noticeable delay that we are experiencing on ground.”
However, a demolition drive has been conducted on the grounds of the Nalapad Academy of International School in east Bengaluru, which is owned by a prominent member of the opposition Congress party and was the main foe of the BJP-led state government of Karnataka during the floods. Mohammed Nalapad, president of the Congress Youth, is the owner of the institution.
Meanwhile the blame game is on
Malathi, the chief engineer in charge of the demolition, accused the revenue department when asked how the school’s trespass remained undetected.
We were unaware of it, she said, adding that the revenue department should have kept a closer eye on things. We are already removing the encroachment.
While the residential areas have been undergoing demolition since last week, an official count has not yet been made.
On Tuesday, a four-story building’s boundary wall in Bengaluru’s eastern district was demolished while the occupants were still inside.
Before beginning construction, building owner Dinesh Reddy claimed he obtained “all essential clearances.”
“I have not broken any rules, however the authorities gave me permission to build the structure despite knowing that this storm water drain has been there for a while. Without giving me any prior notice, they came and tore down the compound wall”, he said.
The executive engineer in charge of the demolition was questioned by NDTV, and he denied that the development had received any approval.
Executive Engineer Muni Reddy stated, “This building has no approved plan, and they have broken the law by building on a storm water drain”.
Locals complain that they were not being informed about the demolition
Many locals claimed they were not informed in advance about the demolition and only learned about it when they heard the bulldozers in motion.
Alok, a resident of the four-story building that was being torn down, claimed that “they have not told us. We were not informed.” He added that “when the demolition began, we were inside our apartments.”
Another tenant, Praveen, claimed, “I was sleeping. I had finished my night shift and was sound asleep. I woke up quickly to the deafening noises of the demolition.”