Israel- Palestine Conflict: The Hamas government in Gaza reported on Friday that an Israeli airstrike targeted an ambulance convoy transporting wounded individuals from Gaza City to Rafah in the southern part of the territory. The strike occurred near Al-Shifa hospital, Gaza’s largest medical facility, and resulted in casualties, according to the health ministry.
Here’s Important Points You Need To Know –
- The government statement from Gaza stated that Israeli forces had struck the convoy of ambulances during its mission to transport the injured.
- The health ministry in Gaza confirmed that the Israeli strike at the entrance of Al-Shifa hospital led to the loss of several lives and left dozens of individuals wounded.
- An AFP journalist who was present at the scene witnessed multiple casualties and damage to an ambulance.
- The Israeli military had not provided an immediate comment regarding the incident when contacted by AFP.
- Al-Shifa Hospital is currently grappling with severe overcrowding, with a bed occupancy rate reaching 164 percent, as reported by the World Health Organization.
- The health ministry noted that approximately 16 hospitals in Gaza are no longer operational due to damage sustained from airstrikes and a shortage of fuel.
The situation highlights the ongoing challenges and humanitarian concerns in the Gaza Strip, particularly regarding access to medical care and the impact of recent military actions.