WPL Auction: Smriti Mandhana stole the show as Royal Challengers Bangalore beat Mumbai Indians in a bidding war to secure the India vice-captain for Rs 3.40 crore on Monday. Smriti Mandhana of India, Nat Sciver-Brunt of England, and Ashleigh Gardner of Australia all scored big in the player auction held on Monday for the upcoming Women’s Premier League (WPL). Mumbai will host the WPL from March 4 to March 26. The main competition will be held at the Brabourne Stadium and the DY Patil Stadium, where a total of 22 matches will be contested.
Smriti Mandhana is the top bidder at WPL Auction
- Mandhana was the top bidder at the auction, fetching a record-breaking Rs 3.4 crore from Royal Challengers Bangalore for the elegant left-hander. In a competition to buy the vice-captain of India, the Bangalore franchise edged out Mumbai Indians.
- The recent Women’s T20 World Cup match between Australia and New Zealand saw off-spinning all-rounder Ashleigh Gardner pick up a big deal. It made her the second greatest buy of the day.
- England all-rounder Natalie Sciver, who was signed by the Mumbai team, earned the third most money of the day. The 30-year-old was paid 3.2 crore rupees.
- Veteran Indian all-rounder Deepti Sharma, who became the second-most expensive Indian at the auction, also made a tonne of money. UP Warriorz acquired the 25-year-old for Rs. 2.6 crore
- Jemimah Rodrigues, an Indian batter who joined the Delhi Capitals, was the sixth most expensive purchase of the day. Rodrigues was useful in India’s decisive victory over archrival Pakistan as she hit an unbeaten 53.
The Delhi-based franchise paid the 22-year-old Rs 2.2 crore. Shafali Verma and Beth Mooney, an Australian, were tied for sixth place in the auction in terms of earnings. Both were purchased for Rs 2 crore by franchisees in Delhi and Gujarat, respectively.
Also Read: WPL Auction: Mumbai Indians seeks for another national captain. After Rohit, team bags in Harmanpreet Kaur for THIS amount
Keep watching our YouTube Channel ‘DNP INDIA’. Also, please subscribe and follow us on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, andTWITTER.